Friday, June 22, 2012

Pileated Woodpecker vs. Snake

 

DING DING DING     

 

In the blue corner, weighing in at 11 oz hailing from the eastern woodland forest, the pileated woodpecker!
....and in the red corner the gigantic green snake!

     I was browsing youtube for some videos of birds.  One of my favorites that I haven't had the opportunity to see as of yet (but heard countless times) is the pileated woodpecker.  In this video, a huge snake has made its way into the nest of the woodpecker (100% presumption).  The mother has come back to the nest and is now trying to salvage her eggs or hatchlings from the massive snake.

     I love the way the bird is determined to defend its home and its eggs even if it means a fight to the death.  It is this displayed characteristic that makes me smile as I watch this video. I don't completely understand why it makes me happy but maybe it is just the beauty of instinct.  There are so many dangers that birds endure in the wild and predators are just one aspect that they have to deal with...   

     It would have been incredible to see this altercation in person.  If anyone knows what kind of snake this is, please leave a comment and I will make sure to stay as far away from it as possible!  I have an intense fear of snakes....  Thanks everyone for visiting!


Pileated Woodpecker vs. Snake video


1 comment:

  1. Pseustes sulphureus or Yellow-Bellied Puffing Snake, the woodpecker would then likely be a Crimson-crested Woodpecker (Campephilus melanoleucus). Took place somewhere in the Amazon.

    ReplyDelete